Do you remember where you were the first time you saw an “I love my church” t-shirt? I can’t remember the first place I saw it, but I know I loved the idea. What a great way to market the church, and express our love. We called up our t-shirt company right away and got them ordered. And would you believe it, they sold out as soon as we got them in. People loved to wear the shirt, but I’m not sure if they actually loved the church.
You see what I saw happening was a desire to wear the shirt, but not always a desire to actually live out what it said. The shirt cost them $15, but to actually do what it said would cost them quite a bit more.
In my opinion, if you really love your church, there are some things you do to express your love. For those who wonder what your true answer is I want to give you some things I think we should be doing.
If you really love your church…
- Build relationships. People get connected and engaged in a church because of the relationships they make. A large part of ministry is just building genuine loving relationships. Sometimes those are built on the weekends, other times it’s during the week in connect groups. If you love your church you’ll be building relationships with the people in your church.
- Grow yourself. It’s not anyone else’s job to grow you. You can’t use that as an excuse any longer. There’s just too many resources out there. When you get better, everyone around you gets better. AND WE EVEN GIVE YOU THE RIGHTNOWMEDIA RESOURCES FOR FREE HERE.
- Give a tithe. It drives me crazy to hear people at a church say they’re not obligated to tithe. I don’t care what you’re theological beliefs are on the subject, if you love your church you’ll want to be giving to it. If you don’t love the church enough to give 10% of your income, then you shouldn’t be at that church and you should find somewhere that you can be the generous giver that scripture talks about.
- Pray for the church and staff. The people on your team, in your connect group, and the people in your church are under attack. We have an enemy that wants to steal, kill, and destroy us. They need your prayers.
- Invite people to church. If you really love your church, you’re going to want to invite others to be a part of it.
I’d argue if you have a hard time doing any of the above, you might not truly love your church. Or, it may be that you just love something else more.
Could it be that a more accurate t-shirt for some of us would say, “I love my church” on the front, and on the back “But I love myself more.”